FOLKLORE

I'm writing a paper on aging for a conference in Dublin this Saturday, but my head is set on disappearing in the eternal snow of the Arctic on the last day of this month. What keeps me going is the idea of oysters that my friends in Dublin will make sure I get enough of. This keeps my head away from cooling down entirely and untimely, which makes my writing retain a sense of decency against the background of some outrageous claims I venture to make; not uplifting, not optimistic, and definitely not hopeful. Perhaps I'm contaminated by the short story “The Day Before the Revolution” by a favorite writer of SF and fantasy fiction Ursula K. Le Guin, who has this to say about her protagonist, an old woman who started a movement in her youth, and whose aim was the eradication of governments and nations, but who is now to die on the day before the event proper happens: “After a lifetime of living on hope because there is nothing but hope, one loses the taste for victory. A real sense of triumph must be preceded by real despair.” I'll spare you of my analysis, which in the academic context is not so bad—in terms of originality, impact, virility, and visibility—but there is something else that makes me think of what remains in the face of resignation. Perhaps I'm contaminated by the film Harold and Maude, which I juxtapose with Le Guin's take on anarchist women. Whereas Odo, Le Guin's protagonist doesn't lose hope but the faith that 'her' revolution will make any difference to her in the final analysis, Maude loses faith, but not the hope that at least her lessons in, what she calls, “odorifics” will make a difference. This makes me think of the passion we experience every time we encounter beauty. Most artists believe that beauty is the greatest mystery in life, and because a mystery, it can only be experienced in the mind. So, when everything is said and done, if there was beauty in it, then beauty prevails. Not the context. Not the text. This is a beautiful thought in itself, and it makes me feel good even in the face of thinking about the cruelty of loss: there's loss everywhere, even when you give nothing of yourself. Perhaps I'm contaminated by the greatest singer of all times of Romanian folklore, Maria Tanase, whose song, “Cine iubeste si lasa” [whoever loves and leaves the lover] sends shivers down my spine, as I write this, and as I think about eccentric old women. Whoever listens to Tanase—who died untimely of cancer in '63 after a life of great success, and who, after a period of having been banned from performing in public, sang in Paris and New York—is bound to be touched. Although the song is all about cursing, one gets the sense that because of the lamenting tone that cuts through you, the beauty of the sound transcends the prophetic proclamations, and it thus undoes the word. Beauty is as beauty does. It makes us all age with grace.

Comments

Robert Gibbons said…
The way you write, Camelia, invites others to chime in. I used to watch a tv show as a kid, in which the host asked each of 4 kids, aged 5 & 6, a series of questions, always “How old would you like to be?” Inevitably, they always answered 13. They wanted to be teenagers. How uncreative, I thought to myself, “Say 27!” I’d yell at the screen! Skip those fucking years of pain, “Say 27!”

You mention despair, & I think of Olson saying that’s what he loved about Rimbaud: he saw the other side of despair. At 63, I think [that’s always questionable!] I may have glimpsed that other side across the abyss early on, let’s say at 29! So, I wake up every morning thoroughly grateful I may yet write another sentence of worth.

Beauty is elusive. I find it hiding behind the texts [at first I objected to you’re saying it wouldn’t be found in the text, but I may see what you mean] of Barthes, Nietzsche, Kristeva, Cixous, Vallejo, just to name a few. There’s Beauty here, too, in your post titled “Folklore.” There’s Beauty in Dublin, & in the oyster. Did Francis Ponge address the oyster? Which would I rather have? An oyster in Dublin, or one served by Ponge upon the page.

One way or another, your writing often instigates Beauty. -rg
Camelia said…
Robert, thank you. The good news about beauty is that it forces you to keep silent. In its face, you neither bless, nor curse. You do nothing, and say nothing. Real despair is connected with impotence. The impotence to go beyond, or as you say, behind the text, and throw yourself at all that which has the potential to unfold itself unto you as beautiful. Beauty is, of course, a form of hierophantic manifestation. As such, it is also linked to the idea of consecration, and from consecration to consumption there's only one step. Religious leaders and mass media know all about it already. Ahhh, let me have my oysters... before I say something stupid.
Robert Gibbons said…
Ya, Camelia, that last risk is ever so present in all who dare write. I may have even seen it in the writings, now & again, however rare, of the people I cited, but immediately forgive. Crazily enough at some point today I thought [that's questionable] about my headstone over the grave with the line, "When silence is located, clarity resounds." In front of Beauty we stay silent, what a lovely concept, a Derridean impossibility. That's what he wrote, right? That spontaneity in writing is impossible, but that he continued to attempt it. Ah, the immediacy of language, as skin. -rg
Camelia said…
Derrida said that writing is loss. He was attracted to beauty, as I am, because the silence that it induces automatically places you in a state of grace. So, basically, that's all there is to it. In the face of beauty you don't need consecration. You don't need to sacrifice either blood or ink. You end up experiencing the 'I am here', and you start believing in your own presence. And here I go preaching again, christ, someone save me from this burden...
Robert Gibbons said…
It must be a good burden for your students, as [the pack upon your back,or above your head?] it has been for me over the years. I realized after I wrote the previous that your colleague, Jacques, may never have written that all writing is prescriptive, & therefore beyond the realm of spontaneity, but he did say that in the film, DERRIDA. I immediately objected. If a Jazz musician can improvise, so too can a poet. It's difficult, but as Olson loved to quote Aubrey Beardsley on his deathbed speaking to Yeats, "Beauty is difficult, Yeats."

Your burden is so light, & Beautiful!! -rg
Camelia said…
Ah, Robert, that's beautiful. You made my day...

Popular Posts