SALUTATIONS

My room in Tromsø faces directly at 50 meters the statue of Roald Amundsen. This I didn't plan. I've had the man on my mind for a while now, but I sure as hell didn't think that I was going to have him almost stare into my room. I feel relieved that he's in a profile posture also facing the Arctic Cathedral, so I can hide from his gaze. So what's the first thing to do? Salute, of course, ask for a blessing or something. I go down from the 5th floor, go over to him, and say: “Roald, my man, God bless you. You were cool.” I feel that I'm in sync with him. On disappearing. He also did it. I say to him: “Roald, do you want to know a secret?” He does. “Up here in the Arctic I'm waiting for a revolution, for the apocalypse, or the end of the world. I'm waiting for the authorities to inform me: we're sorry to inform you that we have a state of emergency, and you cannot leave the country.” I imagine myself not even blinking and saying: “I understand, sirs, you need to do your jobs. I understand perfectly. You'll get no hassle from me. Thank you.” With my back turned, I head for the farm with 300 Alaskan huskies. No state of exception can keep me from flying over the Norwegian ice. “Moosh, ho! Furry brothers, we are not going back!”







Comments

Popular Posts