DILEMMA

It’s 2 am. I’m reading a paper that my mathematician friend has just sent around asking me what I think he should entitle it. He gives me four suggestions:

1. "On the magnetic immortality of launching operations from the Kourou Space Center";

2. "Life is a mystery but LL must stand alone in four sections and one appendix";

3. "The shortest way to becoming a full professor is being launched in space completely naked: a rigorous proof";

4. "To be Lipschitz or not, that is the question. The answer is maybe."

As I’m looking intently at the paper, which is his major breakthrough since he started thinking about it in 98 – you can also get a glimpse of it in the fragment below – I’m thinking: if I’m not going to understand this until 5 am, which is in 3 hours, I’m going to hang myself by my own artificial tongue. Meanwhile we can call the paper: “On orbiting around the category theory BWV 51 Jauchzet Gott in Allen Landen where we relate the existence of extensions of Lipschitz functions to the existence of ends and coends for functors precisely in M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy in Canes Venatici.”


Comments

lektor said…
I'm speechless! You found exactly that part of the proof which I had been looking for for more than eleven years!

I know that it doesn't look much, it is just a stupid inequality, but each term in it is a top of a mountain.
Camelia said…
Oh, so glorious! But listen, have you ever seen me miss the target on things I know nothing about? Ever? No, you haven't. And why is that? Because I have what others call flair.
Anonymous said…
I love that you never miss the target! Congratulations.
James
Camelia said…
James, me too. Though, of course, such certitude never comes for free. I think that right then, at the hour when I wrote that note, I was suffering from math envy. My friend knows that there is nothing that I would like more than to see what he sees, purely formally speaking.
Mark Daniel Cohen said…
Speaking of which, I've been wanting to thank you for your various blogs entries on mathematics. If anyone else is witnessing this conversation, I recommend them highly. They speak out of a rarely found and imperative appreciation for the one field I've found in which there is authentic mystery without a touch of, perhaps without even the possibility of, sentimentality.
Camelia said…
Ah, thanks Mark. Now, there's a mystery I'd like to dive into purely, abstractly, Beckett style, probing the "meremost miniumum", the "unlessenable least", and the "unworsenable worst."
Mark Daniel Cohen said…
I look forward to that. Greatly. Beckett set a course it appears few have since had the courage to follow. The very heart of sentimentality is to falter at the prospect of eradication, to find presence in mere favor, but you will see something more on that in the next issue of Hyperion, along with your exceptional contribution. And, you always have a publishing home, if you wish to do something in addition to your blog. We'll find a way to work our self-imposed guidelines.
Camelia said…
Mark, I accept such generous courtship. And since you give Hyperion such an haute-couture dress, every time, I shall try to continue to honor the self-imposed guidelines.

Popular Posts