EAGLE

I have dreams of Bach as an eagle playing the organ with his wings. This sight is mighty and powerful. I always did suspect that Bach was a master at shape-shifting, and I like it very much when I get this confirmed by the eagle itself as Bach. I ask the organ-playing eagle: ‘who are you?’ and the answer is: ‘I’m Bach, of course.’ I like the ‘of course’ part, as it has just that kind of magic in it that interests me. Between worlds, this vision is as real as the very cantata 27 which Bach wrote, and whose third movement is based on the verse in the book of Isaiah 40: 31: “but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” I’m thinking today of the work on my peace of mind, the work that must transcend my ambivalence. When prompted also by a line in a poem sent to me by a friend: “a superstition is a poetic license” – thanks Enrique Enriquez – I get this thought crossing my head, that the earth sings – thanks also to Annette Høst. A superstition is the sign of the shape-shifters. Bach is my spirit helper, and together with my other totems from the animal kingdom we perform magic. The kind of magic that entices us to keep doing what we’re doing and believe that we can only get better at creating magical realities. Happy birthday, Bach. Thanks for flying (with) me to the stars, to the underworld, here and in space.



Comments

panentheosopher said…
stupefaction is a noetic draft where draft is an unwanted cold breeze, mandatory military conscription, a blank unsigned check and a mouthful of beer.
Camelia said…
Magic is magic. It doesn't only move mountains but the mind too. The mind in magical motion is the most powerful force that reminds us, among other things, that trusting only in our physical brain is a mistake.
panentheosopher said…
Yes, still I would swallow the beer, make out the check, ignore the conscription, and step out of the breeze and enjoy my muddlement.
Camelia said…
That is also magical, Paul. The way you go about it, there's no doubt as to what is going on.
panentheosopher said…
Row, row, row your boat...
lovely! Some people need magical solutions, not reasonable ones.
Camelia said…
Exactly. I dare say that we need magical solutions all the time, not only some of the time, and not only when reason can't find a way.
panentheosopher said…
Read the folk story and its commentary: Why would I climb up a stove pipe? http://www.middlebury.edu/about/president/addresses/archive/bacc_2011
Camelia said…
Excellent. The moral of this story is that in this story everybody is right.

Popular Posts