MORNING IN THE FOUNTAIN

Some days are definitely better than others. Absolutely. It's been a while now since my friend, the genius mathematician who doesn't want to be called a genius – but he can't dictate around here – has been bugging me to write an article together. But today we both decided that that won't do. It's not good enough. I mean, why an article when we can do a whole book? As we have exchanged ideas on the first chapter “The Uncountability of Nothingness” of now well under its way book: Morning in the Fountain: Infinity in the Provisional, we got energized by the idea that it would be interesting to apply the Banach-Tarski theorem to the isometrical transformation of one nothingness into two identical nothingnesses. And why not? We are after all disciples of Cantor's cult of infinity, so I'm sure that we'll hack it in no time whatsoever. Indeed, there are enough wonderful things around that will keep us mentally tall, in a heightened state of excitement... and formless. As Cioran put it: “Infinity leads to nothing for it is totally provisional. ‘Everything’ is too little when compared to infinity [...] The penchant for form comes from love of finitude, the seduction of boundaries which will never engender metaphysical revelations [...] Let us live in the ecstasy of infinity, let us love that which is boundless, let us destroy forms and institute the only cult without forms: the cult of infinity.” (On the Hights of Despair, 99-100)

Comments

lektor said…
good lord! i like that cover!

this book will be a damn good one, i promise.
Camelia said…
Of course, we are professionals, we are geniuses, we don't take any shit, and we're soooo beyond any constraints. Love it. We'll have it done before the summer. Watch us.
Camelia said…
P.S: the cover, yes, you know what I did? I took a fragment from the Rhind papyrus - I mean I do have a soft spot for number 11 - and then I pixelized it on purpose so that it suggests drops of water running into your fountain, yet behind the tiles. I did it in 15 minutes.
Ioana said…
Well put - Cioran warned us well before. Luckily, the boundary making could only be provisional.And hopefully the provisional is not infinitely inescapable...could you please twist this one with your pen, maybe also with some mathematical evidence?I can't help not thinking of Zenon's paradox..
Camelia said…
Yes, we'll twist our minds on this one to bits and pieces that go beyond the fragment. As I've suggested it before, the reason why I think infinities are not only simple but fascinating in the extreme is because they cannot be negotiated, they cannot be substituted, as they always subsume, and they go against all notions of formal confinements. They have a cosmic otherness that opens the gate to experiencing a continuos state of grace. To understand them, it requires an expanded form of consciousness. And I, for one, always aim at that. On a mundane level - but this applies to the hard sciences as well - we use numbers to measure what goes in and what goes out, what we know and what we don't, what we give and what we receive. When the thought of infinity sets in, all these binary relations disappear. How do we thus relate to the paradox of losing ourselves to the continuum?

Horia is good with the operators in an infinite string, and I with the sets, so we'll see how it goes. But I must say that I'm excited that he wants to do this with me. Yesterday I found myself laughing hard when I consented to his teasing statement on FB, in which he adamantly refutes the position I assign to him: “no, no, no, I am not a genius. You are,” he said, and then continued: “I've already started working on the book! That is, thinking about the content of the first page; the rest will anyway be just a logical consequence of it:).” Ha, ha, indeed. Horia gets me, which is fantastic. But this also made me think of a wider cultural context and history. Whether people have been ready to learn or not, the Romanian hierophants of all ages have always tried to teach formlessness. We'll see if we can continue that tradition.

Popular Posts