THE LOGICIAN

On my 42nd anniversary, I celebrate my mother. I always thought it appropriate, to celebrate your mother on your birthday. I thus give myself a book of fragments which celebrates my mother’s formal genius. I took some advice and collected here some of my texts that have been circulating in virtual space. The Logician begins with what my mother liked and it ends with what I like, materially speaking. What lies beyond that, who’s to say?
My mother is dead, and has been dead for a while, but one of her repeated questions, posed in her mysterious metaphysical moments, still haunts me: “formally speaking, how can we determine what everything is? How can we determine what nothing is?” Kafka writes in his notebooks: “Nothing came of it… just residues of light traversing the words.” But light in itself, surely, it is everything already, isn’t it?” My mother didn’t want to write. She thought that knowledge should be shared not sold. She was a good Marxist and a good logician. I hear her saying, as I did some 20 times a day while she was still around, "logically speaking, when writing is no good," or as in my case right now, it has run its course, "then surely music is a good interval?" Indeed it is. So, on my 42nd birthday I return to what I wanted to do for some time now, making music. Perhaps. Who’s to decide? Meanwhile, today, I’ll create some sounds in special places at request. Perhaps making music can beat the light, or nothingness. Though not in the sense of winning over it. For what would be the point of that? What would be the point of that? Enjoy!

Comments

David Kilpatrick said…
Happy birthday! Just celebrated my 42nd trip around the Sun last Sunday, myself, and was lucky enough to thank my Mother once again. She would pepper me with Lutheran theology every day as a child (fate and choice, that thought is action, etc), much as it sounds like your would spice your kitchen talk with Heidegger...

Hope you had a wonderful day.
Camelia said…
Thank you David, and many happy returns to you as well. Yes, if we are lucky enough, our mothers will have passed on to us something quite valuable. I was. Some theology is always good, and Heidegger is even better with the help of Hannah Arendt. I think my mother would go with her and her performative conception of action.
Unknown said…
Dear Camelia,
I am behind my time on this, and I apologize. Happy Birthday. You are still very young, and you can take it from one who knows - even with the abrupt and unforeseeable intrusions that sometimes come along, it gets better as we go. And, I like the hair, very much. It adds even more character to your face.
Hope you had a splendid day.
Mark
Camelia said…
Mark, thanks. About the hair, you bet. I'm going for the zoharic light now, so there you have it. There's a lot already in that silver opening which intensifies some of my experiences on a level that's quite sublime.

Popular Posts